You Are Reading

0

My Favorite Mascara!

Elle 2.07.2011
Hi Everyone!

I'm going to do a review of my most favorite mascara, along with 2 alternatives that are quite comparable both quality-wise and price-wise. I hope this will make it easier for those looking into finding the perfect do-it-all mascara without having to experiment with a few to find it.

So, the first one on my list is the original Diorshow mascara by Christian Dior which retails at about $25. I originally received mine as a gift and was reluctant to use it seeing as I was already content with my previous favorite (MAC Plush Lash). However, I thought I may as well give it a shot, which ended up in the total abandonment of every other mascara I own. Here's why: it has a nice big brush that applies mascara evenly to all my lashes without a single clump or the dreaded 'webbed' effect I find a lot of other mascaras create. Also, it makes my lashes look super thick, long and voluminous with only one application WITHOUT ever flaking! You can see a sample of what it does in the picture I posted here: Classic Neutral Evening Look. Lastly, I want to emphasize the fact that this mascara is WEIGHTLESS! No heavy feeling on the lids, no feeling of my eyes being dragged down by a heavy formula - most of the time I can't even tell I have any on!

Now, the bad: it comes with a rather expensive price tag, especially for mascara that should essentially be discarded after a few months of use for hygienic reasons. I feel I can buy a cheaper alternative that does almost the same thing (only with a little more fuss). Personally though, I still think $25 is totally worth it for this, especially if you're looking to buy for a special occasion, or even for everyday purposes. Secondly the other (very minor) problem I have with this particular one is that it is NOT waterproof, therefore it won't work at emotional events like weddings and stuff. (Although, I'll speak about an alternative to that in a minute).

My runner up is.. you guessed it: MAC Plush Lash. Amazing formula and amazing length. It's actually what my makeup artist used on me for my wedding day - although it's still a wonder to me as to why it didn't run even though it's not waterproof! Either way, This was my favorite before the Diorshow showed up in my life as this creates a smooth and clump-free application while adding tons of volume and depth. Additionally, I'm drawn to the brush applicator as it's big and plump, obviously doing good things to my lashes. It retails for about $17 (in Canada - a little less in the U.S. though), and lives up to it's expectations quite well. If you're looking to buy a MAC mascara, this would definitely be the way to go.
The bad: it tends to create a slight webbed effect if I apply just a tiny bit more than needed in the first go, which leaves me to completely wash it all off and reapply again - a complete hassle! Also, it creates a sort of weighted feeling when you first apply it, although that goes away after a while as your eyes get used to it. It does cause some flaking - which can get annoying sometimes as you have to keep pulling out your compact to check up. And lastly, it's not waterproof so it's bound to run at some point.

Thirdly, I'd like to introduce the Lancome Cils Booster XL (Super-Enhancing Mascara base) along with it's partner in crime, the Lancome Deficils (High Definition Mascara). Together, these two create lashes with decent volume but extraordinary length. I love that the base slightly lengthens each lash individually, and then the black on top just magnifies it all into perspective. It does however, flake a little bit and creates the webbed effect when you don't allow the base coat to dry completely before applying the black coat. The brushes on these are quite standard as they are straight-shaped with no doming or anything like that - this does make it a bit difficult to use because a lot of buildup occurs at the tip that needs to be wiped off prior to use - otherwise it'll create clumping on the lashes.What I like about it however is that you get a good amount of volume with this combination without lashes sticking together like a wing (not sure if that makes sense!). The downfall here is that you need to buy both to have the desired effect because I find the Deficils doesn't do much on its own. Also, it's not waterproof and creates that weighted effect on the lids (though it wares off).

My last alternative is a drugstore brand, so it's definitely much cheaper than the previous ones. Retailing under $10, the Cover Girl Lash Blast seems to do much of the same job that the Dior, Lancome and MAC mascaras do, only at a MUCH cheaper price (although I did find some cons to this which I'll explain in a bit). With the Lash Blast, my lashes look full, voluminous and long. I find I can build up the intensity I want (similar to the Diorshow) without it creating a webbed effect however, only to an extent. Anything past 2 coats creates an unnatural webbed look I find similar to that created by Plush Lash when applied excessively. The applicator is much different from the previous two as it has short, plastic bristles which definitely serves for a different type of effect, and also allows for no clumping. It does however, tend to flake easily (especially with multiple coats), so again, it can get annoying having to check up on it every few minutes. Also, this baby is waterproof so that's definitely a plus, however that may not necessarily be a positive thing because it's super difficult to remove by the end of the night! All in all, definitely comparable to the Diorshow, lasts much longer and creates similar effects- with a few minor setbacks of course.

So ladies, the choice is yours. I have tried tons more, but only these 4 stand out to me the most in terms of great quality and perfect lashes. Hope this helps!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Sugar Sweet Beauty